.The Art of Becoming Myself.

Love it all. The Fear, the excitement, the guilt, the power for change. The unworthiness, the hurt feelings, the euphoric feelings, the anger, the movement, the whole process. It's known as Life.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

GU Report

After I loaded my Nike+ today, I got notice that I finally hit the green level. That means I've synced a total of 157.23 miles. Go me! Some dude (pro skateboarder ????) came on and "congratulated me," which struck me funny, but hey I'll take a confidence boost!









Today I had 5 miles. I can't say that it was awful or anything, but it wasn't amazing awesome. I guess every run can't be great. Bummer.

I dropped my son off at day camp, dropped my daughter off at VBS and then headed to the gym. It was raining again (!!!) and thundering and lightening, so today was another DREADmill run.




I finally decided I wanted to try a GU gel because after last weeks 8 miles, I could have really used a "boost" around mile 7. This weekend I have 10 miles and KNOW I will need something to recharge me. I didn't want to go into a 10 mile run trying the GU for the first time for fear of stomach cramps. I'm thinking that doesn't sound like such a great time, so today I decided to try one in the middle of my 5 miles to see how my body reacted.

I chose the Chocolate Outrage first because I've heard such great things about it and I definitely wasn't disappointed. Oh yum! This stuff seriously tasted like brownie batter/chocolate frosting. It had the consistency of the same and left no gross aftertaste, so I was pleased at how easy it was to get down. I was waiting for a stomach ache, just because I tend to have a sensitive stomach when I run anyway, but thankfully this caused me no issues or cramps. Woot for that. I felt a good boost of energy that last almost the entire run, but I do admit that my mind wasn't into it this morning, which as anyone who runs knows, it's all mental. Really. Mile 4 to 5 really blew. I was winy inside my head and begging the kilometers to go faster! faster! faster! I upped my speed during the last mile just to get the hell done.

I felt good after I finally finished, said a quick prayer thanking God for my health in that I CAN run, and thanked my legs for carrying me through yet another long run.

My knees on the other hand? Yeah they must have not of felt the love because they are cursing me out for sure today. Sorry guys! Just 3 miles tomorrow and then you can have a rest day. Please be good for me. I really do KNEED you. :)

Yeah. I crack myself up on a daily basis. Kinda. Anyway, off to down some Advil.

2 comments:

  1. The Chocolate Outrage is a good one. The only one I had an issue with was the orange flavor. I thought it was a totally innocent one to start with but it did not set well with me at all. No issues since then.

    Great blog. I enjoy reading it. Hope your knees feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! I have the Orange Rush and was going to try it on my 10 miler this weekend. Guess i better wait on that one! lol. Thanks for letting me know, and you're right...it looks totally innocent. Come on?! It's Orange! You'd think it would be one of the easiest to get down. Yikes!

    Have you tried the Roctane GU gels? I have one in Orange vanilla and I haven't tried it just yet.

    Knees are better...took two Aleve last night and got a good nights rest. That's one thing I've noticed since running a lot...I hit the bed and I'm out within seconds. Zzzzz!

    ReplyDelete