.The Art of Becoming Myself.

Love it all. The Fear, the excitement, the guilt, the power for change. The unworthiness, the hurt feelings, the euphoric feelings, the anger, the movement, the whole process. It's known as Life.

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Hi and welcome *waves frantically with huge smile*

That day, for no particular reason, I decided to go for a little run. So I ran to the end of the road. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd run to the end of town. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd just run across Greenbow County. And I figured, since I run this far, maybe I'd just run across the great state of Alabama. And that's what I did. I ran clear across Alabama. For no particular reason I just kept on going. I ran clear to the ocean. And when I got there, I figured, since I'd gone this far, I might as well turn around, just keep on going. When I got to another ocean, I figured, since I'd gone this far, I might as well just turn back, keep right on going.


I just love that quote! It's so true and fits perfectly. That's how my journey started. One day I was walking and that walk turned into a jog and that jog turned into a run and that run turned into a goal and that goal turned into a race. It's kind of strange actually. I've never envisioned myself to be a "runner" and I've never had a desire to be a runner. I still, even with several races under my belt, don't really consider myself a RUNNER. I can't say that I ever will. I take that back...perhaps after I finish this half marathon without having to be drug across the line by paramedics, then, just then...I *might* consider myself a real deal.

Half marathon in only 6 weeks. *gulp* I'm on week 4 of my training. Unfortunately I was hospitalized and had surgery just 4 short weeks ago as well. I took a week to recover and then I jumped (more like hobbled) back into running. It was slow and steady, but at least I got myself back out there. It's what I needed to do. Not only for my physical recovery, but for my mental recovery. Running does something amazing to me, mentally. It clears my mind and brings me to a place where I can feel at peace.

I've been able to build myself back up and now I'm consistently running four days a week. I logged 16 miles in last week, and this week I'll have a total of 19. This is a huge goal of mine and damn does it make me proud!

Maybe, just maybe some day soon, I'll get to be one of those real "runners!"

4 comments:

  1. You are a runner! You are amazing! You just picked yourself up, dusted yourself off and ran through your grief. Such an inspiration!


    Alisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to be a "real" runner too! Lol. You ARE one! I don't run near as often as you do, and I'm super slow. I started training for a half marathon last year, but did a 5K race instead. I want to do more in the future. Reading about your runs inspires me so keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you know I'm a running fan, just wish I was better at it! Thought I was doing the Hood To Coast relay again this year (I'm an alternate, fingers crossed), so now I'm goal-less. Need a race or a goal to keep me motivated. Have been running "barefoot" or in very minimal shoes, which has changed my running and I'm really enjoying it. Have you read "born to run" by Christopher McDougall? If you like to run, you'd love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies! Getting "out there" is most of the battle. The rest just "happens." :)

    Oh, MP I'll have to take a looksee at that book, thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete