.The Art of Becoming Myself.

Love it all. The Fear, the excitement, the guilt, the power for change. The unworthiness, the hurt feelings, the euphoric feelings, the anger, the movement, the whole process. It's known as Life.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Short Miles, Big Smiles! Monday, June 21, 2010

Today was a good run, a “short” 3 miles. When I woke up, it felt good knowing I didn’t have to kick it into high gear, hurry, and still get ready for work. Today I’m officially on summer vacation!

Instead of my normal 5am alarm, I was able to sleep until 5:45, which felt great. I woke up and took my time getting up and getting functional. I brewed some coffee, fixed an egg and piece of toast, and read the morning news. Larry is doing this super intense workout called P90X, so while I was eating breakfast and waking up, he was downstairs doing his ab workout. I looked out the window and saw it was lightly raining, but that the sky was dark with a greenish tint to it. That meant STORMS. I could hear thunder in the distance and since we’ve had some crazy scary lightening the past several days, I knew I wouldn’t be running outside this morning.

I finished my coffee and breakfast and then got dressed. When L left for work shortly after 7, I got my water, towel, and iPod ready and left for the gym. It was raining pretty hard at this point and the sky was pretty dark. I was wishing I were at home, snuggled in the nice cozy bed, rather than on my way to run. Oh well, I’ll feel better about my decision after.

Once I got to the gym, I realized that I had forgotten that all the old timers speed walk around the track this early in the morning. This is some SERIOUS BUSINESS PEOPLE! You should see these little old people fly around the track with their fanny packs, hand weights, and towels over their shoulders. They had severe written all over their velour jogging suites and white sneakers and I wasn’t about to get in the way of THAT, so off to the treadmills I went! Whew!

The 3 miles weren’t bad, I held steady and enjoyed watching the old folks on the track, which kept my mind off most of my own run. I sweated a lot today, which I don’t mind, because hello I’m running my BUNS OFF, therefore I SHOULD be sweating, but today it just felt gross. Good thing I’m not there to impress because I give the words HOT MESS a whole new meaning… and not necessarily a good one.

When I was done with my 3, I realized it was the same time that my son’s summer day camp starts and since he gets dropped off in the mornings at the same center I workout at I had a good chance of seeing him on his first day (his dad was dropping him off). This excited me, so I quickly cleaned the treadmill, hopped off, and headed out to the gym part. Sure enough I saw Collin in his circle and trotted down to say hi. I keep forgetting that he’s old enough now to get embarrassed at things and I think I mortified him when he realized his sweat-drenched mom with a huge ridiculous smile plastered on her face was headed his way. In fact he looked shocked to see me obviously he wasn’t expecting it. He ended up waving and smiling and I didn’t TOTALLY embarrass him and insist on a hug or anything, just went over and said hi and told him to have an awesome day. Of course it being the first day, all the kids were sitting in silence, none of them knowing anyone, but all eyes were on the crazy glistening lady with blotchy face and sweat soaked shirt trying to figure out who she was and why she was standing in front of them….um yeah, I guess that WOULD embarrass any 9 year old. Ooops. I gave him a quick smile and wink and said goodbye, told him I’d pick him up later this afternoon and I high tailed it outta there. Someday he’ll appreciate stuff like that. He may have been rolling his eyes with embarrassment, but I walked out with a skip in my step and a smile on my face. I just ran 3 miles and I got to see my boy!

It’s the little things!

2 comments:

  1. This post totally made me smile out loud SEVERAL times and miss you more than I already did. I will just have to survive with the mental images of your stories until we can get together. P.S. I am SO PROUD OF YOU!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Nicole. I'm so glad you "made it over here!" *waves*

    I'm free next week, aside from Tuesday (it's Collin's 9th birthday...wow!) so any morning or afternoon works for me. I miss you, too. We need a good ol' laugh session. You know...the kind where when we get done our faces look like raw hamburger meat from all the wiping of the tears. Ick, what a gross visual, eh? lol. You know I'm always good for a funny story!

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete